The original goal of my Take Action project was to write an article that would convince people that biofuels are a viable alternative to petroleum fuels, and that instead of developing more petroleum infrastructure such as pipelines, we should invest in biofuel development and infrastructure. While I have not completely given up on biofuels, my original intention has shifted considerably. The article ended up being one which was meant to provoke critical thinking and dialogue surrounding how we think about energy. We do not need to continue following the same pattern of unsustainable use and consumption, and instead we should be placing pressure on those in power to lead by example and to do more to promote and develop a sustainable future.
This project was such an incredible learning experience for me as someone who is interested in environmental causes and sustainability, and as an aspiring journalist. I learned that energy issues are so much more complex than many people think, and that it will take a combined effort of resources and idea to curb our petroleum addiction. However, after completing this project I am more certain than ever that there are viable alternatives out there. We do not need to sit idly by while our leaders continue to make unsustainable decisions by promoting unsustainable developments. Just as Why We Fight detailed the military-industrial complex, I believe that in Canada (and most of the world) we are victims of a petroleum-industrial complex. Although it is widely known that alternatives exist, leaders of governments and corporations are not willing to take the most important steps towards sustainability because, at least initially, it would not be economically profitable. However, in the long run, sustainability is of course both economically and environmentally profitable.
As an aspiring journalist, this project taught me so much about the processes and considerations that must be taken when constructing an article such as this one. I gained valuable experience by interviewing three people for this project, and by communicating with an editor at the Winnipeg Free Press (even if that didn't pan out). While writing the article, I took careful consideration to represent the words of the people who I had interviewed effectively and truthfully, so as to create a piece that had both meaning and integrity. I am proud of this piece, and I am confident that it could effectively "take action" by encouraging readers to consider this important topic in a way that they may not have previously.
No comments:
Post a Comment