On Wednesday, I finished pulling together the final edition of The Communicator. As I sent it off to the printers, I felt surprising nostalgic, but also very proud. I am considering my Take Action project as a continuation of the project that I started in September 2012 as the editor of The Communicator. My goal as editor of the paper has always been to provoke thought and dialogue on campus, just as was the goal of my Take Action project.
As the editor of The Communicator, I have been privileged enough to work with an incredible team made up of my peers. It has been such an honour to work with them on creating pieces that they are passionate about, and to encourage them to explore ideas that they may not have previously considered. These past two years have not always been easy, but fantastic learning experiences have come out of the difficulties. For example, last year we published an anonymous article that took the Palestinian perspective while writing about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. The backlash of this article showed me how powerful journalism can be, as it provoked an intense discussion surrounding the issue of campus. This experience also taught me the responsibility of an editor to stand by their peers, but to admit when a mistake has been made and to handle the issue in a respectful manner. Finally, The Communicator has have course also provided me with an outlet to write and to share my ideas about ideas that I am passionate about.
As I head to university next year to study journalism, I will remember fondly my time as the editor of The Communicator. It has provided me with a great foundation for my studies, and for what I hope will be a successful future in journalism.
No comments:
Post a Comment